Marriage Services

The LMA provides the services to perform a Marriage Ceremony for Muslims according to both Islamic practice of marriage principles and Australian legal requirements and does NOT perform Islamic Marriages if the couple does NOT wish to register the marriage with the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.


When a couple has already decided to marry, they can arrange to have their marriage performed at the LMA, the Lakemba Mosque or a location of their choice in consultation with the Officiate who is authorised as a Marriage Celebrant by the Federal Attorney General’s department.


The following steps outline the procedure:

Please note: Bookings must be made at least one month prior to the marriage date.

1. You will require the presence of two Muslim witnesses for the groom and a guardian for the bride. The ideal guardian for the bride is the father of the bride.


2.The groom and his family with consultation and approval of the bride and her family will offer in writing the Dowry recorded on the certificate of marriage. 


3. The marriage details are recorded in a prescribed form and signed by the bride, the groom, guardian and witnesses. A copy of that certificate is provided to the bride and groom with an official marriage license.


4. LMA will keep a copy marriage license as a record. The official license is then signed by the person performing the marriage and mailed to the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages


Official Marriage Ceremony

The following is the requirements according to the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages


1. NOIM – Notice of Intended Marriage

a. Once you decide to marry, you are required to give a marriage celebrant at least one month (not more than 18 months’ notice) of an intended date of marriage.

b. You need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form which is available at the LMA office or you can download at:


2. Marriageable Age

a. From 1 August 1991, the marriageable age is 18 years. If a person, not yet 18, wishes to marry prior to their 18th birthday, only a court empowered to give a ‘Section 12’ order can give authority for this marriage to be solemnised.

b. A NOIM may be lodged prior to the 18th birthday, as long as the marriage occurs after the birthday.


3. Evidence of Age

Both the bride and groom are required to provide the marriage celebrant with proof of age.

a. If born in Australia, a full Australian Birth Certificate must be provided.

b. If born overseas, a foreign birth certificate or a valid overseas passport will be accepted. If these are in another language, they must be officially translated into English.


4. Previous Marriages

If either party has been previously married, you must provide the marriage celebrant with evidence of the termination with either a Divorce Certificate (if divorced) or a full Death Certificate (if widowed). Certificates in a foreign language must be translated into English by an authorized interpreter/translator service.

Photocopies are not accepted.


5. Registering your Marriage 

Australian citizens marrying overseas cannot have their marriage registered in NSW.

To obtain evidence of your overseas marriage, make sure you obtain a Marriage Certificate or any other supporting documentation before you leave the country.


6. Identification

Please provide at least three (3) forms of identification, one of each from Categories 1, 2 and 3. If you are unable to provide identification from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least three (3) forms of identification. At least two (2) of these must be from Category 3.

All documents except foreign passports must be current.

Photocopies must be certified as true copies of the original by a Qualified Witness (e.g. Justice of the Peace – The LMA is able to provide this service).




If born in Australia:

• An Australian Birth Certificate

Record of immigration status:

• Citizenship Certificate

• New Zealand Citizenship Certificatetogether with passport

• New Zealand Birth Certificate


• Australian Driver’s Licence

• Australian Passport

• Firearms Licence

• Foreign Passport


• Medicare Card

• Credit or Debit Card

• Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Card

• Security Guard/Crowd Control Licence

• Tertiary Education Institution ID Card



• Recent utility account with current residential address